From: Allendale On The Savannah, Copyright ©1970
Transcribed by Judith Presnell Canant (Judy), April, 2000
MT. PLEASANT PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH
Mt. Pleasant Primitive Baptist Church is situated off Highway 321 near Tutens Mill Pond, several miles northeast of Fairfax. The Church was organized August 22, 1874 through the efforts of A J Harrison, preacher of the Mother Church, in Prince Williams Parish. Active in the original bush arbor church were the late H B Harvey and Robert Bowers.
Among twenty-nine members on the associations membership as of August 24, 1874 were: R. M. BOWERS, E BOWERS, J M BROWN, Rebecca BOWERS, Medicus T HARVEY, Alice ALTMAN, Wyman G HARVEY, Mary BOWERS, Mary PRIESTER, C G HARVEY, T E HARVEY, John BOWERS, James M HARVEY, Martha BOWERS, Sally BOWERS, Elizabeth BROWN, S Rebecca CANE, S LUCUS, W S SULLIVAN, Miley DEACON.
The cemetery surrounding the church contains names of many of the original families.
(This was contributed to "Allendale On The Savannah" by Mrs. Anne Harvey)
Some of the oldest grave sites at Mt. Pleasant Cemetery are--
|SCGenWeb - Allendale County, South Carolina|