Antioch Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) is located on SC highway 3, about 2 miles south of U.S. 301. It was organized in 1833 by Dr. and Mrs. W.R. Erwin and Mrs. U.M. Robert and was the second Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) founded in South Carolina. Dr. J.D. Erwin, II, served as minister for forty years. The present building was used as a court house in 1865. The roadside marker was erected by the Antioch Association in 1960. (taken from South Carolina Highway Historical Marker Guide, published by the South Carolina Department of Archives and History, 1998, modified by Dr. Frank O. Clark). (Historical Marker 3-3) Thanks to John Culberson for correcting the name and Al Brunson for correcting the text!
Anne E. Neely, great, great granddaughter of the Erwins relates that according to Allendale On the Savannah, by Alexania Easterling and Minnie Reeves Wilson ( pub. 1970), Antioch Christian Church was founded by Dr. W.R. Erwin and his wife, Julia C. Erwin and his sister-in-law, Mrs. Rachel Robert (Mrs. U. Robert). They began this church after being excommunicated from Kirkland Baptist Church in 1833. 2 years later they erected the building of Antioch Christian church and secured a pastor.
Photograph courtesy of, and copyright 1998, Jim Bryan.
Antioch Cemetery (partial listing)
Return to Allendale Churches
|SCGenWeb - Allendale County, South Carolina|
Please Email any additions, errors,or corrections to the county coordinator.