Allendale County, South Carolina on the Savannah River, Welcome!

The Barnwell Baptist Association, by Clara Johnston Hitt,  236 pages, published 1914

The Barnwell Baptist Association   1866-1875

ELEVENTH SESSION — 1866.

The eleventh session of the Barnwell Baptist Association convened at Williston on Friday before the second Sunday in November, 1866.

Rev. F. J. Sanders preached the Introductory Sermon from Gal. 6:9—`And let us not be weary in well doing for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."

Rev. L. H. Shuck was re-elected Moderator and Rev. J. F. Buist was elected Clerk.

Canaan church was received into the body through her delegates, P. J. Heirs and H: B. Cave.

President C. H. Judson, of Greenville Female College, and Rev. W. D. Rice, of the State Mission Board, accepted seats in the body. The Savannah River, Charleston, Edisto, and Edgefield Associations sent messengers to this meeting.

Rev. J. F. Buist, Rev. F. J. Sanders, and Rev. C. A. Baynard were made a committee to examine a manuscript history of this Association written by Rev. L. H. Shuck. This committee endorsed Bro. Shuck's History and recommended it to the churches. It is now a very valuable source of information concerning some of the early meetings of this body. Only a few copies are extant.

On Saturday, Revs. J. F. Buist, Wm. Richards, S. B. Sawyer, and W. H. Dowling preached.

On Saturday, Rev. W. D. Rice, of the State Mission Board, and Prof. C. H. Judson, of the Sunday School Board of the Southern Baptist Convention, made appeals and took collections for their respective missions.

Rev. L. H. Shuck preached the Charity Sermon from Rom. 1:16—"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ."

Rev. J. F. Buist preached in the Methodist church and Rev. A. W. Sanders preached at night.

The General Committee through Chairman Jones M. Williams reported inability to collect more than half of the amount subscribed for Rev. W. C. Baxley.  For the ensuing year the General Committee was appointed as follows: Jones M. Williams, Willis Stansell, C. M. Dewitt, and the Clerk and Treasurer.

A committee appointed to consider the Revised Constitution of the State Baptist Convention approved the amendments made and recommended the cooperation of the General Committee of this Association with the Executive Board of the State Convention.

A committee on the colored population advised adopting the plan suggested by the Baptist State Convention. This plan embodied in a report over J. C. Furman's name is appended in the minutes in full. It tells of the lack of teaching, of the legal obstructions to teaching and their recent removal, and of the duty of Christians to teach the colored people to read and to put the New Testament into their hands. It plans for the formation of separate churches for the colored brethren when they so desire, and advises and encourages the white brethren to aid and teach them in every possible way.

The committee appointed at the last meeting to assist the Treasurer in making his report found that the loss of moneys in his hands was incident to the fortunes of war for which the Treasurer was not responsible.

Columbia church now asked aid in rebuilding their house of worship which had been in the track of Sherman's men and had been destroyed by them with fire.

At this time there were four divisions for union meetings.

A committee of one was appointed in each church to stir up interest in Sunday School work, the churches being asked to report annually to the Association the condition of their Sunday Schools.

The South Carolina Baptist, published in Anderson, S. C., and Kind Words, a Sunday School paper, published in Greenville, were recommended to the churches. The brethren were also urged to support the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Furman University, and the Barnwell Female Institute. The last named was under the control of Rev. L. H. Shuck.

Arrangements were made to employ a missionary within the bounds of the Association.

The Association lamented "the growing evil of dancing in their midst."

Bro. G. N. Askew was received as the beneficiary of the Association and arrangements were made for defraying his expenses at the Seminary.

Resolutions were adopted on "the death of our beloved and venerable brother, Robert Kirkland, whose services both in the organization and support of this Association were of inestimable value." Robert Kirkland had been for years chairman of the General Committee.

The Association adjourned to meet with the Springtown church on Friday before the second Sunday in November, 1867, Rev. J. H. Hoover to preach the Introductory, and Rev. J. F. Buist, the Charity, Sermon.

TWELFTH SESSION - 1867.

On Friday before the second Sunday in November according to appointment the Association met with the Springtown church.

In the absence of the appointee, Rev. J. O. B. Dargan preached the Introductory Sermon from Col. 2:6.

Moderator L. H. Shuck called to order and the delegates were enrolled. He then, having removed his church membership to the Savannah River Association, resigned the office of Moderator.

Rev. Wm. Brooker was elected Moderator; Rev. J. F. Buist was reelected Clerk and T. J. Counts was made Treasurer. Brethren D. M. Johnston and S. E. Woodward are mentioned as tellers upon this occasion.

Seven Pines church was received into the Association through her delegates, Edward Harley and U. Sullivan.

Messengers were received from the Savannah River, Charleston, Edisto, Edgefield and Colleton Associations.

Rev. J. O. B. Dargan, General Agent of the Baptist State Convention, and Rev. Wm. Richards, of Atlanta, Ga., were present.

A most important matter took place at this meeting in the ordination of two colored candidates into the Christian ministry. Brother T. J. Counts brought the matter before the body in behalf of Friendship and Philadelphia churches. All ministers present were appointed a presbytery to examine and ordain the two candidates. They were ordained on Sunday afternoon after preaching by Rev. Isaac Nichols from Luke 1: 74-75.

On Saturday, Revs. L. H. Shuck and W. B. Shaw preached.

Rev. J. F. Buist preached the Charity Sermon on Sunday from II Timothy 2:2. At the same hour Rev. Wm. Brooker preached to the colored people in the grove.

Brier Creek church was stricken from the list of churches, and a committee was appointed to inquire in-to the cause of Columbia's being unrepresented. Brier Creek had not been represented since 1864 and probably longer. She was represented in 1861.

The letters from the churches told of coldness and lukewarmness, but many had flourishing Sunday Schools, and peace and harmony among the brethren.

Rev. W. C. Baxley, for many years a laborious and useful minister of the Gospel in this Association, had been removed from his earthly labors during this year. "Though for many years blind and in declining health, he continued to preach the Gospel, as he had opportunity, until called to his reward. He maintained to the end the character of an exemplary Christian and zealous minister of the Gospel."

The churches were placed in four divisions for union meetings in 1866 and have been so continued.

Jones M. Williams, chairman of the General Committee, reported great destitution in our land and lack of means to procure a much needed missionary in our midst. The pledges made Brother Askew were only partly paid.

The General Committee for the ensuing year was composed of Jones M. Williams, Willis Stansell, C. M. Dewitt, and the Treasurer (T. J. Counts).

THIRTEENTH SESSION - 1868.

The Association held its session with the Friendship church in 1868. The Introductory Sermon was de-livered by Rev. J. F. Buist from Matt. 20:16.

The officers were re-elected.

It is interesting to note that A. F. Free, who had been Treasurer from the beginning until the last session, was appointed on the Finance Committee.

Saturday was spent in religious exercises, Rev. W. H. Dowling preaching in the morning and Rev. S. B. Sawyer in the afternoon.

The Charity Sermon was preached by Rev. F. J. Sanders from Eph. 2:4.

In the afternoon the Association joined with the Friendship church in the celebration of the Lord's Supper, after which a colored licentiate was ordained into the Christian ministry.

Jones M. Williams reported for the General Committee that it had been difficult to raise funds to defray the expenses of our beneficiary (G. N. Askew) in the Seminary, for want of promptness to pay on the part of those who have pledged. They also reported much destitution within our bounds and no funds to sup-port a missionary. They recommended the adoption of some speedy measure to raise funds for this purpose.

The General Committee appointed for the next year was : Jones M. Williams, Willis Stansell, J. W. Hair, with the Clerk (J. F. Buist) and the Treasurer (T. J. Counts).

Columbia church was stricken from the roll.

The following relative to the death of Rev. J. J. Ray appears in the minutes : "Brother Ray was a native of South Carolina and a minister of the Gospel for about thirty years. This good and faithful man of God was not blest with the advantages of a thorough education, but, notwithstanding, he was a faithful and useful laborer in the cause of Christ, and died in the full possession of the hope of everlasting life. God grant that we, like him, may so live for Christ, that our last end may be like his."

The Great Saltkehatchie church sent up the query : "Is it right for members of the church to retail ardent spirits, either directly or indirectly." The committee to whom this query was referred replied through Chairman W. H. Dowling as follows: "We reply emphatically, without hesitation, it is not right. In our opinion, no member of the church, or anybody else, except physicians and druggists, should either retail it, give it away or drink it, and only in cases absolutely and positively medicinal."

It was resolved to hold a Sunday School Association at Williston the first Sunday in May and Saturday before and that each Sunday School in the Association be requested to attend with their superintendent, teachers, pastors and children.

Each union meeting district was asked to hold a quarterly meeting within their bounds.

The South Carolina Baptist, published at Anderson by W. E. Walters, was recommended to the brethren.

Fifteen dollars was paid the Clerk and the residue of Association fund was applied to the liquidation of debts for publishing the History of the Barnwell Association.

The next meeting was appointed to be held at Bethel in 1869, Rev. Moses Boynton to preach the Introductory, and Rev. Wm. Brooker, the Charity, Sermon.

THE FOURTEENTH SESSION - 1869.

The fourteenth session of the Barnwell Association was held with the Bethel church, all the churches being - represented. Messengers were present from the Savannah River and Colleton Associations.

Rev. F. J. Sanders preached the Introductory Sermon from Numbers 14:24.

Rev. Wm. Brooker was re-elected Moderator, Rev. J. F. Buist, Clerk and T. J. Counts, Treasurer.

Hickory Grove church was received into the body.

Prayer meeting was conducted on Saturday b? Brethren P. J. Hiers and Jonas Trowell. Rev. J. G. Williams preached from Matt. 20:6 and Rev. S. Wilson from Ps. 119:11.

On Sunday, prayer meeting was conducted by Brother J. McNab and Elder S. E. Woodward. Rev. Wm. Brooker preached the Charity Sermon from Rom. 10:17. Rev. J. F. Buist preached later from Phil. 1:23, 24. Revs. G. Walker and J. S. Perryclear preached in the grove.

Out of twenty-one churches sixteen reported good Sunday Schools. These were: Healing Springs, Great Saltkahatchie, Springtown, Rosemary, Double Pond, St. John's, Friendship, Bethesda; Long Branch, Blackville, Mt. Olivet, Allen's  Chapel, Williston, Canaan, Seven Pines, Bethel, Rosemary, and Williston reported coldness and Mt. Pleasant nothing of interest. Of those having no Sunday Schools Philiadelphia, Gent's Branch, Mt. Calvary, and Hickory Grove made favorable reports.

"Peace and harmony abounds" throughout the Association.

The churches in each of the four divisions for union meetings were: First Division: St. John's, Philadelphia, Springtown, Friendship, and Bethesda.

Second Division: Canaan, Hickory Grove, Great Saltkehatchie (spelled for the first time Saltkahatchie), Bethel, Allen's Chapel, and Mt. Pleasant.

Third Division: Williston, Long Branch, Seven Pines, Mt. Olivet and Rosemary.

Fourth Division: Healing Springs, Blackville, Double Pond, Gent's Branch, and Mt. Calvary.

The General Committee through Chairman Jones M. Williams reported great destitution and an imperative need for laborers in our bounds, no missionary work having been done during the past year because of lack of funds. The Association finished paying for the publication of the History of the Barnwell Association and its Churches by Rev. L. H. Shuck.

The following is taken from Treasurer T. J. Counts's report: The funds sent up to the Association amounted to $196.15. This included Sunday's collection of $44.80. Healing Springs sent up the largest amount ($18.10) and Seven Pines the next largest ($15.00).

The Working Christian, The Baptist, and the Religious Herald were recommended to the patronage of the brethren. The sum of $44 was raised for the Working Christian.

The Association heard with pleasure of the forma-don of the Baptist Sunday School Association and received as corresponding messengers from that body Wm. H. Duncan and Ed. Harley. The churches were urged to organize Sunday Schools and unite with the Sunday School Association. It is interesting to note the names of the first representatives to the Barnwell Baptist Association from the Sunday School Association. It is also meet to state that in the minutes of the Barnwell Baptist Association the name of W. H. Dowling constantly recurs in 1868 and 1869, the years in which, as a body, cognizance was taken of the organization of Sunday School workers.

The committees appointed at this meeting were seven in number: Preaching, Finance, Nomination, Correspondence, Time and Place of Next Meeting, De-ceased Ministers, and Letters.

Brother Askew, having finished his three years' course at the Seminary, Brother R. W. Sanders was taken up by this Association in co-operation with the Savannah River Association as a beneficiary student at the University.

The General Committee for the ensuing year was appointed as follows: Jones M. Williams, J. W. Hair, W. W. Woodward, with the Clerk and Treasurer of the Association.

The next meeting was appointed to be held at Allen's Chapel with Rev. W. H. Dowling to preach the Introductory, and Rev. J. F. Buist, the Charity, Sermon.

FIFTEENTH SESSION-1870.

The session of the Barnwell Baptist Association in 1870 was held with the Allen's Chapel church. The Introductory Sermon was preached by Rev. W. H. Dowling from Heb. 12:1.

Rev. Wm. Brooker was- re-elected Moderator; Rev. J. F. Buist, Clerk, and T. J. Counts, Treasurer.

Hunter's Chapel and Joyce's Branch churches were received into the Association.

Messengers were received from the Charleston, Savannah River, Edisto, Reedy River, and Colleton Associations and from the Barnwell Baptist Sunday School Association.

Saturday, as usual, was devoted to religious exercises. After prayer meeting, Rev. S. B. Sawyer preached from Luke 12:20; and, after intermission, Rev. J. H. Mendenhall from Matt. 16:26. Rev. J. F. Morrall preached in the grove.

On Sunday morning, a Sunday School meeting was held at eleven o'clock. The Charity Sermon was de-livered by Rev. J. F. Buist from I Cor. 9:14. Rev. J. G. Williams preached in the grove from Acts 24:25. In the afternoon, Rev J. F. Morrall preached from I Tim. 6 :12, and Rev. J. K. Mendenhall in the grove from Luke 23:33.

The General Committee was retained unchanged. This committee reported inability to do much with the limited means at hand to relieve the great destitution within their bounds. They reported the amount ($108) paid to our beneficiary as inadequate and recommended a more bountiful provision for him.

Liberal contributions were made to our beneficiary, Rev. R. W. Sanders, to continue his studies at Furman University.

Revs. J. K. Mendenhall and J. G. Williams made ad-dresses in behalf of Furman University. The sum of $1,105 in bonds and some cash was collected and one brother from each church was appointed to raise and forward further funds.

Rev. J. F. Morrall presented the claims of State Missions and a collection of $46 was taken up.

The sum of $28 was collected for our venerable brother, Thomas Dawson, whose services to the Association have been inestimable.

Rev. B. M. Cave died in September in his ninety-sixth year. He was instrumental in organizing and building up Friendship and Gent's Branch churches. "He died as he had lived, in full assurance of a blessed immortality beyond the grave."

The union meeting divisions were continued as last year, Hunter's Chapel being placed in First Division and Joyce's Branch in Third.

Fourteen churches reported Sunday Schools. Those not reporting one were Healing Springs, Philadelphia, Bethesda, Gent's Branch, Blackville, Mt. Pleasant, Mt. Olivet and Mt. Calvary.

Only Healing Springs and Mt. Pleasant reported coldness. All others were in good condition except Bethesda, which reported nothing of interest. Many additions to the churches were reported.

The Treasurer reported funds sent up to the Association as aggregating $305. This included the Sun-day and Monday collections of $170.20.

The Sunday collection of $57.90 was equally divided among Furman University, State and Foreign Missions.

The churches were requested to send up a specified amount for a permanent fund for the benefit of widows and orphans in this Association.

The churches were also asked to furnish statistics at the next meeting of this body showing the amounts contributed during the year to benevolent causes and to the salaries of their pastors.

The Working Christian was recommended to the patronage of the brethren.

"Peace, harmony, and brotherly love have characterized our intercourse here, and a pious zeal for the promotion of the cause of the blessed Master prevails among us."

From the report of the Committee on Correspondence presented by Chairman Lewis M. Ayer we learn of the lamentable condition of the Negroes who had withdrawn from our churches and set up worship for themselves. The brethren everywhere were urged to instruct and help them whenever possible.

The next meeting was appointed to meet at St. John's, the Introductory Sermon to be preached by Rev. J. J. Getsinger and the Charity Sermon by Rev. F. J. Sanders.

SIXTEENTH SESSION-1871.

The sixteenth session of the Barnwell Association met at St. John's church as appointed. The Introductory Sermon was preached by Rev. J. K. Mendenhall from Habakkuk 3:1.

The Moderator, Clerk and Treasurer of the past year were re-elected.

Graham's Baptist church, formerly known as Cedar Springs, now Denmark, was received from the Edisto Association.

The Charleston, Reedy River, Colleton and the Barnwell Baptist Sunday School Associations sent messengers.

It is interesting to note that in response to the invitation to visiting brethren to take seats in the body Rev. J. G. Williams, of the Colleton Association, accepted. On Saturday after prayer meeting, Rev. J. F. Buist preached from Eph. 4:11-12. Afterwards, Rev. Isaac Nichols preached from John 18:36. Rev. Wm. Brooker preached in the grove from I Cor. 13:13.

On Sunday morning, Sunday School addresses were made by Brethren Wm. H. Duncan, D. H. Rice, and L. M. Ayer. The Charity Sermon was preached by Rev. F. J. Sanders from Romans 1:16. At the same hour, in the grove, Rev. J. K. Mendenhall preached from Heb. 2:3. In the afternoon, Rev. M. R. Snares preached from Eph. 4:14, and Rev. G. N. Askew, in the grove, from John 1:14.

The General Committee reported lack of funds. All that had been done was the payment of $145 to the completion of the education of R. W. Sanders. The General Committee for the next year was appointed as follows : Jones M. Williams, J. W. Hair, B. F. Peeples and the Clerk and Treasurer of the Association.

Williston made no report and a Committee of J. W. Hair, J. M. Cave and D. M. Johnston was appointed to inquire the cause of Williston's failure to be represented in this body.

The twenty-three other churches with the exception of Healing Springs, Bethel and Canaan reported good condition. The churches with live Sunday Schools reported best conditions.

After addresses were made in behalf of Furman University some bonds and cash were collected for her.

The brethren responded liberally in behalf of "our venerable and much loved brother," Rev. Thomas Dawson, who was present.

The sum of $196.07 was sent up to the Association. This included $37.32 collected on Sunday and divided equally among Furman University, State and Foreign Missions.

A debt of $25 due by Rev. R. W. Sanders while a beneficiary at Furman University was liquidated. This was recommended by the General Committee who re-ported that R. W. Sanders had completed his work at Furman University with distinction.

The Working Christian was endorsed.

It is significant that the minutes state that all the delegates were present on Sunday morning at the Sun-day School meeting. It is especially so in view of the fact that at the session of 1869 a resolution was passed that every member not answering to his name at the calling of the roll, before final adjournment of the Association, be marked a defaulter unless such member had the permission of the Association to be absent.

The next session was appointed to meet with the Healing Springs church, Rev. Moses Boynton to preach the Introductory, and Rev. J. F. Buist, the Charity, Sermon.

SEVENTEENTH SESSION-1872.

The seventeenth session of the Barnwell Association was held with the Healing Springs church, commencing on Friday before the second Sunday in November, 1872.

Rev. M. B. Boynton being absent, the Introductory Sermon was delivered by Rev. J. G. Williams from I Peter 2:7.

The former officers were re-elected.

Spring Branch, Pleasant Mountain, and Bamberg, three new churches, were received.

Mt. Pleasant was the only church unrepresented. A committee was sent to find the cause of her failure to send delegates.

Messengers were received from the Savannah River, Charleston, Edisto, Fairfield, Orangeburg, Tiger River and Colleton Associations and from the Barn-well Baptist Sunday School Convention. This is the first time that the last named has been styled Convention.

Ten committees were announced: On Preaching, On Finance, Correspondence, Nominations, Time and Place of Next Meeting, Deceased Ministers, Letters, Union Meetings, Circular Letter, and Auditing Committee.

On Saturday, after prayer meeting conducted by Rev. George Walker and P. J. Hiers, Rev. L. M. Ayer preached from I Cor. 1:23, 24. After intermission, Rev. Arthur Buist preached from Acts 26:28.

On Sunday morning, prayer meeting was conducted by Rev. W. G. Mack and a Sunday School address was made by W. H. Duncan. The Charity Sermon was preached by Rev. J. F. Buist from I Cor. 16:2. Rev. M. R. Snares preached in the Academy from Matt. 16:-26. After intermission, the Centennial Sermon of Healing Springs church was preached by Rev. A. P Norris. At the same hour religious exercises were con-ducted in the Academy House by Revs. Arthur Buist and George Walker. A large and attentive congregation was assembled for these exercises. At this meeting there was a full attendance of ministers, all churches but one being represented. The country had been blessed with good health, good crops, glorious revivals in most of the churches, many converts and much Sunday School zeal. Kindly relations had been re-stored between the white and colored races.

In the past year the churches gained in number from twenty-four to twenty-seven; and in membership from 2,593 to 2,721.

The General, Committee in their report expressed gratitude to God for the gift of Arthur Buist and L. M. Ayer to the ministry.

It was resolved to open the churches on the fifth Lord's Day in December for prayer that Almighty God forgive our national sins and restore our beloved South to peace and prosperity.

Sunday's collection was divided between State Missions, the church at Rome, and Furman University.

Rev. J. K. Mendenhall presented the claims of Fur-man University and received some bonds and some cash. He asked that each church raise from $200 to $500 in bonds.

The Association gave $25 to Pleasant Mountain and $75 to Bamberg for building purposes. Twenty dollars was contributed toward paying for the printing of the minutes of the State Convention, and the churches were asked to defray the expenses of delegates sent from this Association to the Convention.

The ministers of the Barnwell Association at this time and their post offices were as follows:

The money sent up to this Association amounted to $275.29. Of this $57.48 was Sunday's collection.

The next Association was appointed to meet at Rosemary, Rev. W. H. Dowling to preach the Introductory, and Rev. Arthur Buist, the Charity, Sermon.

EIGHTEENTH SESSION-1873.

This session of the Association met with the Rosemary church. Rev. W. H. Dowling preached the Introductory Sermon from Rom. 8:28.

The former officers were re-elected.

Treadway church was received into the body. All the churches were represented except Mt. Pleasant. A special prayer for the churches complaining of spiritual barrenness was led by Rev. Thomas Dawson.

Revs. G. W. Hicks and M. R. Snares are mentioned as visiting brethren. Messengers from the Savannah River, Charleston, Edisto, Fairfield, Orangeburg and Tiger River Associations, and from the Barnwell Baptist Sunday School Convention, were present.

On Saturday, prayer meeting was conducted by Brethren B. C. Byles and P. J. Hiers. Rev. J. C. Fur-man preached from II Sam. 24:24. Rev. Thomas Dawson preached in the old church. After intermission, Revs. J. G. Williams and J. C. Furman presented the claims of Furman University and a number of bonds were secured.

On Sunday morning prayer meeting was conducted by Brethren M. B. Boynton and G. N. Askew. The Charity Sermon was preached from I Cor. 7:23 by Rev. A. Buist. At the same hour, Rev. A. W. Lamar preached in the grove from Heb. 9:27. After inter-mission, Rev. J. D. Durham preached from Gal. 1:1, . and Rev. J. G. Williams in the old church from Matt. 11:12. On both Saturday and Sunday nights, there was preaching at Williston and in the neighborhood of Rosemary.

The churches with two exceptions reported a prosperous condition. Sunday School work continued to increase in interest.

A collection was taken for the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary consisting of money and pro-visions, Rev. J. C. Furman having spoken in her be-half.

Rev. A. W. Lamar presented State Missions and a collection was taken of $22.03.

The sum of $36 in cash and $5 in subscription was presented to Rev. M. R. Suares to help publish his sermons.

A collection of $30.50 was taken for our aged brother, Thomas Dawson.

The moneys sent up amounted to $272, including Sunday's collection of $71.40.

A committee was appointed to meet with the Executive Committee of the Sunday School Convention and pledge $216 to help put an efficient missionary in the field during 1874.

Jones M: Williams, W. H. Duncan, W. H. Dowling, Y. G. Williams and J. F. Buist were appointed a committee to revise the Constitution and report at the next meeting.

The next meeting was appointed to be held at Joyce's Branch church with Rev. J. J. Getsinger to preach the Introductory, and Rev. J. G. Williams, the Charity, Sermon.

NINETEENTH SESSION-1874.

This session of the Association was held with the Joyce Branch church. The Introductory Sermon was preached by Rev. Thomas Dawson from I Peter 2:9.

The former officers were re-elected. D. P. Sojourner, J. W. Hair and H. K. Gillan were tellers upon this occasion.

The Reedy Branch church was received into the Association.

Canaan and Mt. Pleasant churches were erased from the roll, these churches having become disorganized and no more in existence. In 1873 Canaan asked for help to build a church and to pay their .pastor. It seems that the Baptists and Campbellites had jointly erected a building and the Campbellites getting the more numerous had taken the house.

Hickory Grove was unrepresented.

Rev. W. D. McMillan led in prayer for those church-es complaining of spiritual barrenness.

The following visiting brethren accepted seats in the body: Rev. J. O'Bannon Lowry, Agent for the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary; Rev. M. R. Suares, and Rev. Thomas Dawson.

Messengers were received from the Savannah River", Edgefield, Colleton and Saluda Associations and from the Barnwell Baptist Sunday School Convention.

On Saturday prayer meeting was conducted by Revs. J. J. Getsinger and S. E. Woodward. Rev. J. O'Bannon Lowry preached from Phillippians 3:13, 14. Rev. G. N. Askew preached in the grove from John 13:2. After intermission, Brother Caughman, Agent of the Palmetto Orphan House, presented that institution and took up a collection of $50.25. Rev. J. G. Williams then made an appeal for Furman University and some bonds were secured.

On Sunday, prayer meeting was conducted by Rev. W. D. McMillan. The Charity Sermon was preached from Judges 5:23 by Rev. J. G. Williams. Rev. J. F. Morrall preached in the grove from John 21:16 followed by the successful presentation of the claims of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary by Rev. J. O'Bannon Lowry. After intermission, Rev. J. F. Buist preached in the house from Acts 20:35 and Rev. C. Baynard in the grove from Luke 16.

"Thus ended a happy Sabbath day."

The Constitution and Rules of Decorum were read and upon the recommendation of the committee appointed to revise the Constitution the Constitution was slightly amended in respect to the admission of new churches.

From the General Committee's report we find that the missionary employed jointly by the Association and the Sunday School Convention was Rev. W. D. McMillan for seven months at fifty dollars per month. A misunderstanding having arisen as to how much credit should be given to the Association and how much to the Convention for moneys collected from the churches by the missionary, no further effort was made to keep a missionary in the field.

Brother David H. Rice, of Springtown, one of the prominent members of the Association, zealously de-voted to its interests, passed to his final reward during the year. "Such was the character of his piety, and the purity of his, life that he commanded the entire confidence of his community, and his brethren at large, winning the affection of all who knew him."

The churches reported a highly prosperous condition. Two hundred and fifty-two members had been added to the churches during the last associational year.

The Seven Pines church asked that the Association as an advisory board suggest to the ministers of this Association that they owe it as a duty, to attend and assist in the exercises of the Sunday School Convention.

Brother F. C. Hickson was adopted as beneficiary student. Revs. J. F. Buist and J. G. Williams were appointed a committee to superintend his education. Cash to the amount of $37.25 was taken up for him and pledges from churches and individuals to the amount of $101. The unappropriated Association mission fund in the hands of the Treasurer was given him.

The pastors of the churches were asked to bring the claims of the Seminary before the churches at least semi-annually.

The churches were recommended to liberally sup-port their pastors and the poor.

The churches were again requested to send up a statement of money paid during the year for all purposes.

The Baptist Female College at Greenville and the Blythewood Female Institute were recommended to all young ladies seeking a thorough education.

Sixty dollars in cash was subscribed to the Working Christian.

A collection was taken for Brethren Thomas Dawson and M. R. Suares amounting to $39.20.

The Treasurer reported $295.78 sent up, including $50.55 collected on Sunday. This, Sunday's collection, was divided between the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and State Missions.

The next meeting was appointed to meet at Hunter's Chapel, Rev. G. N. Askew to preach the Introductory, and Rev. Arthur Buist, the Charity, Sermon.

TWENTIETH SESSION-1875.

The twentieth session of the Barnwell Baptist Association was held with the Hunter's Chapel church in 1875. The Introductory Sermon was delivered by Rev. G. N. Askew. The Association was called to order by former Moderator, Rev. Wm. Brooker.

The following officers were elected: Rev. J. F. Buist, Moderator; Rev. W. D. McMillan, Clerk, and Bro. T. J. Counts, Treasurer.

The Barnwell, Edisto, Elko and Mt. Tabor churches were received into the Association.

Messengers were received from the Edgefield, Colleton, Saluda, Orangeburg and Charleston Associations, and from the Barnwell Baptist Sunday School Convention.

Article II of the Constitution was amended so that churches may be received by delegate or letter.

"In view of the gracious outpouring of the Holy Spirit upon the churches during the past associational year, Rev. A. Buist was requested to lead in a prayer of thanksgiving to God for these evidences of divine favor."

On Saturday - after prayer meeting conducted by Revs. J. L. Rollins and S. W. Ackerman, Rev. W. C. Lindsay preached from Jude 5:11.

Prof. Judson made an appeal for Furman University and a number of bonds were secured through his efforts and through those of Rev. J. G. Williams.

Rev. A. W. Lamar presented the claims of State Missions and a collection of about eighty dollars was taken up.

In view of the many pressing demands and the great need of divine grace and wisdom in the direction of effort, Rev. Wm. Brooker was asked to lead in prayer that the Great Head of the church would direct all deliberations.

On Sunday morning, Rev. A. W. Lamar addressed the Sunday School. Rev. A. Buist preached the Charity Sermon. Rev. Wm. Brooker preached in the Academy building. After intermission, Revs. A. W. Lamar and J. F. Buist preached.

The General Committee reported that our beneficiary, F. C. Hickson, had completed his studies at the Greenville High School and was pursuing his studies in the Junior Class at the University so as to give promise of future usefulness.

The next General Committee was appointed as follows: J. M. Williams, J. W. Hair, B. F. Peeples and the Clerk (W. D. McMillan) and Treasurer (T. J. Counts).

Brother O'Bannon, now at the Seminary, was adopted together with Brother Hickson as beneficiary.

The churches were divided into five divisions for union meetings.

The churches were again requested by resolution to furnish the Association annually with financial statistics. They were also by resolution recommended to raise an apportioned amount for State Missions.

Sunday's collection of $32.38 was divided between the Students' and Beneficiary Funds.

The Widows and Orphans' Fund on hand was given to Sister Margaret Hiers, who was old and blind.

Revs. Wm. Brooker and M.R. Suares were each requested to speak ten minutes on Foreign Missions. Rev. Thomas Dawson added a few interesting remarks after which a collection of $10.31 was taken for this work.

Brother Lamar solicited subscriptions for the Working Christian.

The Sunday school children of Mt. Tabor contributed one dollar to Foreign Missions through Rev. W. H. Dowling.

Rev. J. F. Buist read an interesting paper on State Missions. This paper was published in the minutes of the Association.

The Indigent Ministers' Fund was equally divided among our aged brethren, Dawson, Suares and Woodward. Collections amounting respectively to $11.70, $9.10, $7.45 were taken up for them.

A collection of $8.50 was taken for the Seminary Students' Fund.

Resolutions were passed that in this centennial year of our nation, we endeavor to endow fully Furman University and the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

By request of the Moderator, Rev. Wm. Brooker offered a few parting words which touched the hearts of all. The hymn, "Blest be the tie that Binds," was sung, the, parting hand given, and the Association adjourned to meet with the Graham's church on Friday before the second Lord's Day in November, 1876. ,

The Treasurer reported $273.84 sent up, and $126 paid to the State Mission Board during the year. This last was sent directly to the agent of the Board from the churches. There were probably other contributions to this and,other purposes but there was no report of them.

Return to Preface

1876-1885

There are probably numerous errors, despite my checking.  Please try to be very explicit about where errors are in the text when you Email me. FOC

SCGenWeb - Allendale County, South Carolina

Copyright ©2000-2004, Frances B. K. Bundy, all rights reserved. This document is copyrighted and may not be sold, nor given to anyone who may attempt to derive profit from same.