The Allendale Presbyterian Church
In April 1878 at the spring meeting of the Charleston Presbytery held on Edisto Island, SC, a petition was presented to Presbytery by eight communicants of the Presbyterian faith and 22 residents of Allendale, SC, asking Presbytery to take steps to organize a Presbyterian Church in Allendale.
The Allendale Presbyterian Church was organized on July 7, 1878, at a meeting in the Union Church in Allendale. Charter members included Dr. Lewis Scott Hay, Mrs. Ann H. Hay, Miss Matilda Hay, Miss Catherine Hay, Dr. Walter Scott Hay, Mr. S. J. M. Clarke, Dr. Thomas T. Hay, Miss Ella Hay and Miss Rosalie Hay. Dr. Lewis Scott Hay, Mr. S. J. M. Clarke and Dr. Thomas T. Hay were elected ruling elders and Dr. Walter Scott Hay was chosen as deacon. The Rev. John R. Dow, evangelist, was the presiding minister at the meeting.
The congregation was unable to build a church at that time, but held services on the first Sunday of each month at the Union Church. The Union Church was used by different denominations in town, each denomination using the church one Sunday a month.
In 1890 work was begun on the present church building. Mr. Fred J. Hay of Liberty Hill, SC, was the architect. The lot was donated by Mr. J. L. Williams, grandfather of Miss Lena Williams, a leader in the church for many years. Mr. Williams also hand made the pews in the sanctuary. The church bell was molded in England and presented to the church by Mr. John Maybank of Charleston. The bell was later given to Swallow Savannah Methodist Church since their church had burned and they had no bell. The completed church was dedicated in 1890 by the Rev. Dr. J. L. Girardeau.
Prior to World War II plans were discussed to erect a Sunday school building, but those plans were abandoned due to the war. Construction was started for the Sunday school building in July 1950 and was completed in November 1950. Mrs. J. L. Oswald, whose property adjoined the church lot on the east side, gave several feet of land to make room for the Sunday school building.
The church manse was constructed in 1952 on a lot on Water Street donated by Miss Lena Williams in 1950. The Rev. William T. King and his family were the first people to live in the manse. The manse has undergone a few renovations through the years.
In 1957 the interior of the sanctuary was remodeled. The pulpit was brought forward and the choir loft was moved from the left of the pulpit to the area behind the new pulpit. At this time the stained glass windows on the side walls were installed. Each window was dedicated to a family in the church in appreciation for their service to our Lord. The men and women of the church furnished their time and labor in the remodeling work.
In 1961 the vestibule was added to the front of the church and in 1967 a lot was purchased on the west side of the church, enlarging the property. In 1973 new pulpit furniture, choir screen and baptismal font were purchased for the sanctuary. A large stained glass window picturing the cross was placed in the wall behind the choir loft. These new additions were dedicated at a morning worship service in April 1974. Friends, former pastors and members were invited to join the Allendale Presbyterians for worship and dinner.
The year 1976 brought some long-awaited changes to the church school. The original church school was remodeled and one classroom, a new kitchen and a larger fellowship hall were added to the existing structure. The remodeled church school building was dedicated at the morning worship service on October 3, 1976, with members, friends and former pastors present.
At least three former members of the church entered the ministry: Alexander McLean Warren and Paul Frederick Warren, sons of Thomas Baker and Annie McIntyre Warren who were early members of the church, and Samuel Burney Hay.
(Source: a booklet prepared for the 100th anniversary of the church on October 15, 1978. Courtesy of, and thanks to!, M. Bryan)
Copyright ©1999, Allendale Presbyterian Church, all rights reserved. These documents may be freely used for private purposes, and included in your own genealogy. However, this document is copyrighted and may not be sold, nor given to anyone who may attempt to derive profit from same. Please send any errors, corrections, conjectures, updates, etc. to Dr. Frank O. Clark.
Full text from: Allendale On The Savannah, Copyright ©1970
Transcribed by Judith Presnell Canant, April, 2000. Digital copy Copyright ©2000 Judith Presnell Canant, all rights reserved.
In 1878 at a meeting of the Charleston Presbytery, a petition signed by 22 residents and eight communicants of the Presbyterian Church in the U S was presented, requesting that a church be organized in Allendale.
This matter was referred to the Rev. John Dow, Evangelist, and on July 7, 1878 the church was organized and the following members were enrolled: Mr. S J M Clark, Miss Anna H. Hay, Miss Catherine E. Hay, Dr. Walter J Hay, Miss Ella Hay.
Mr. S J M Clark and Dr Lewis Scott Hay were ordained and installed as Ruling Elders. Dr. W Scott Hay was installed as Deacon.
For some time the denomination held services in the old Union Church.
From 1884 - 1886, the Rev. Samuel Hutson Hay served as the first called minister and upon his death in 1886 the Rev. P Hutson, Evangelist, Evangelist, served the church 1889, being followed by the Rev. H M Dixon.
In about 1890 a lot was purchased from Mr. J L Williams and work began on the church. Mr. Fred J Hay of Liberty Hill, SC was the architect, the church being dedicated the same year by the Rev. Dr. J L Gerardeau. Dr Walter S Hay was the only male member during construction of the church and through his devotion, interest, energy and financial support, this church was actually built.
The bell was molded in England and presented to the church by Mr. John Maybank of Charleston.
In 1892 the Revs. Dixon moved away and the following served: Rev. John R. Dow (second time); Rev. F I Leaper; Rev. S C Caldwell, also the following ministers and students from Columbia: Rev Bothwell Graham; Rev. Paul F Brown; Rev. Messrs. G H Cornelson; R F Walker; W W Saddler; Rev. Ellison Simpton; J E Ward; T D Bateman and D M Stokes. Among others serving The Rev. Bothwell Graham; Paul F Brown; Frank Langham; D M Clark; J L Flexico; C L Letson; W D Stewart; Cecil Brearly; W T King; J T Ressell. For some time after the church had supply ministers. The Rev. Clark David Eubanks assumed the pastorium in July 1868 [sic: I believe this was meant to be 1968] and is currently with the church. Despite a limited membership this church has always been active. The Woman of the World was organized in 1912 and has always been active.
The Presbyterian Church has served the town and community for more than four score years -- approximately ninety years.
In 1967 two adjoining lots were purchased, thus placing the church on the corner of Flat Street and Memorial Avenue.
The Presbyterian congregation is traditionally a very fine, closely knit group who are dedicated to service.
From: Allendale On The Savannah, Copyright ©1970, used with permission by SCGenWeb, Allendale County web site.
|SCGenWeb - Allendale County, South Carolina|