Beaufort County Churches
The Church of the Cross, 110 Calhoun Street, Bluffton SC.
On June 4, 1863, most of the village of Bluffton was burned by Union forces. Two churches and about a dozen residences survived. The Church of the Cross sits on a bluff overlooking the May River. It was designed by Charleston architect Edward Brickell White and constructed entirely of heart of longleaf pine on brick piers. Its interesting board and batten exterior makes it a popular subject of photographers. First services were held July 17, 1857 and it continues as an Episcopal church today. The church was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. (information excerpted from A Guide to Historic Bluffton published by the Bluffton Historical Preservation Society).
Photo Copyright 2009 Nancy Fahrney Berry, all rights reserved.
Please Email any additions, errors, corrections, or suggestions to the webmeister.
|SCGenWeb - Beaufort County, South Carolina|