In the late 1890's, Andrew Jackson Gill and his wife Hannah Louisa Provence migrated to Parke County, IN with his family from Pulaski County, KY. Andrew is the son of James <Monroe> GILL KY (http://sciway3.net/clark/gill/kyjamesm.html ) and (C)Synthia Ann THOMPSON. On the 1900 Census for Parke County, Wabash Township, IN, Andrew Jackson Gill is listed with his family. His oldest son, James Madison Gill married Fannie Wineland Sep 07, 1898 in Parke County and was on the 1900 census for Parke County, Reserve Township, IN. Andrew's daughter Mary Margaret Gill married Amos Riley Craft of Parke County Sep 28, 1898, in Parke County, IN. Mary and Amos were across the Wabash River in Vermillion County, Helt Township, IN. on the 1900 Census.
Descendants of Andrew Jackson Gill
Generation No. 1
1. ANDREW JACKSON2 GILL (JAMES MONROE1 http://sciway3.net/clark/gill/kyjamesm.html ) was born Jun 06, 1855 in Pulaski County, KY, and died (Cause of Death: Accidental Railway Injuries) Mar 12, 1909 in Indianapolis, Marion County, IN. He married HANNAH LOUISA PROVENCE Apr 20, 1877 in KY, daughter of THOMAS PROVENCE and LOUSIE LEE. She was born Aug 23, 1848 in Lee County, VA, and died Dec 07, 1916 in Indianapolis, Marion County, IN1. Both are buried in Mount Jackson Cemetery, Indianapolis, Marion County, IN Medical Information: <Ref> Indianapolis Star, & Certificate of death from Marion County Health Department provide by Sheila Evans.
Children of ANDREW GILL and HANNAH PROVENCE are:
Generation No. 2
2. JAMES MADISON3 GILL (ANDREW JACKSON2, JAMES MONROE1) was born Jul 30, 1877 in Pulaski County, KY, and died Sep 28, 1948 in Indianapolis, Marion County, IN. He married FANNY WINELAND Sep 07, 1898 in Parke County, IN, daughter of DANIEL WINELAND (Union Veteran Civil War) and SARAH DIETZ. She was born Jul 12, 1872 in Montgomery County, IN2, and died Jul 23, 1942 in Montezuma, Parke County, IN.
James Madison Gill Obit: <ref> Indianapolis Star 9.30.1948 Funeral services for James M. Gill, 71 years old, 38 North Sherman Drive, will be at 3 p.m. today in J.C. Wilson Chapel of the Chimes. Burial will be in Washington Park Cemetery. Gill, a native of Kentucky, died Tuesday in his home. He lived in Indianapolis for 60 <?> years and was a retired New York Central Railroad car inspector. He was employed by the railroad for 50 years. He was a member of the Baptist Church and Brotherhood of Railroad Carmen of America. Survivors are his wife, Mrs. Myrtle Gill; two sons Otto and Paul Gill of Montezuma; a stepson, Robert Engerton, Indianapolis, a sister Mrs. Mary Craft and a brother Jess Gill, St. Joseph, Michigan.
Fannie Wineland Obit: <ref> Terre Haute Tribune p. 2 July 24, 1942 GARRETT, Fannie Mrs. (Montezuma, Ind) July 24 - 68 yrs old - died at her home at 2 o'clock Thurs afternoon. She is survived by her husband SAM; 2 sons Otto & Paul GILL - both of Montezuma; one brother, John Wineland & one half brother, Wallace DIETZ, both of Montezuma. The body was taken to the Brown Funeral Home and returned to the residence of Paul GILL Fri. afternoon. Funeral services will be held from the South Side Mission at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon with burial in the Oakland Cemetery. Montezuma, Parke County, IN
Children of JAMES GILL and FANNY WINELAND are:
3. JOHN GREEN3 GILL (ANDREW JACKSON2, JAMES MONROE1) was born Dec 06, 1879 in Pulaski County, KY, and died Jun 29, 1947 in Indianapolis, Marion County, IN. He married EMMA R. FRITZ Mar 01, 1905, daughter of JACOB FRITZ and MARY KOLB. She was born Sep 05, 1883 in Highland Township, Franklin County, IN.
John Green Gill Obit: <ref> Indianapolis Star Monday, June 30, 1947 John G. GILL aged 68 .... lived at 944 North Tacoma Indpls., Ind. 46201 widow, Emma and 2 children name Mr. Everett GILL of Portland, M (?) and Mrs. Nina Spa..ler of city. He passed away Sunday and calling will be at the Jordan Gray Funeral Home at 2428 E. 10th Street. Burial will be at Memorial Park Cemetery.
Children of JOHN GILL and EMMA FRITZ are:
4. MARY MARGARET3 GILL (ANDREW JACKSON2, JAMES MONROE1) was born Abt. 1881 in Pulaski County, KY, and died May 30, 1962 in Berrien Springs, Berrien County, Michigan. She married AMOS RILEY CRAFT Sep 28, 1898 in Parke County, IN, son of MILTON CRAFT and ELIZABETH. He was born Aug 01, 1877 in Parke County, IN, and died Jul 14, 1964 in Berrien Springs, Berrien County, Michigan.
Amos Riley Craft Obit: <ref> from Journal Era (Wed) 7-15-1964 p.15 Amos Riley Craft of St Joseph, MI formerly of Berrien Springs, MI. died at Berrien General Hospital - a patient for 6 weeks. He was a native of Parke Co. IN. Born 8-1-1877 came to Berrien Springs in 1926 (retired farmer). Member of EUB Church and Eagle Lodge both of St Joseph, MI. Survived by 2 sons - Lee of Jackson, MI and Andrew of St. Joseph, MI. His wife, Mary, and a son, Ira, both preceded him in death.
Children of MARY GILL and AMOS CRAFT are:
5. JESSE WILLIAM3 GILL (ANDREW JACKSON2, JAMES MONROE1) was born Nov 06, 1885 in Pulaski County, KY, and died May 30, 1970 in Berrien Springs, Berrien County, Michigan. He married AMANDA ELLEN "MANDY" GARNER Nov 09, 1910 in Holton, Jackson County, Kansas, daughter of JAMES GARNER and WINNY GILL. She was born Dec 06, 1888 in Pulaski County, KY, and died Feb 26, 1968 in Berrien Springs, Berrien County, Michigan.
Children of JESSE GILL and AMANDA GARNER are:
Generation No. 3
6. OTTO "TOAD" HERMAN4 GILL (JAMES MADISON3, ANDREW JACKSON2, JAMES MONROE1) was born Apr 17, 1900 in Montezuma, Parke County, IN, and died Jul 09, 1974 in Clinton, Vermillion County, IN. He married WINNIE OPAL HUFFMAN Jul 10, 1919 in Montezuma, Parke County, IN, daughter of OTTO HUFFMAN and JENNIE WALL. She was born Jun 12, 1900 in Miledgeville, Harrison Twp., Boone County, IN, and died Aug 29, 1980 in Clinton, Vermillion County, IN.
Children of OTTO GILL and WINNIE HUFFMAN are:
7. PAUL4 GILL (JAMES MADISON3, ANDREW JACKSON2, JAMES MONROE1) was born Mar 19, 1907 in Montezuma, Parke County, IN, and died Jun 13, 1967 in Montezuma, Parke County, IN. He married KATHERINE FRANCES GAMBLE, daughter of CHARLES GAMBLE and BESSIE FRITTS. She was born Feb 23, 1910 in Iowa, and died Feb 05, 1984 in Montezuma, Parke County, IN.
Children of PAUL GILL and KATHERINE GAMBLE are:
This is a merged set of data on the Andrew Jackson GILL line of Pulaski County, KY into Parke County IN; compiled by Dianna Bourke Privette, Sheila Epperson Evans, Roger Rundquist, Allen Davis, Tom Gill, Arnie Gill, Pauline Alice Gill, John Mervin Gill and Raymond Warren Gill.
NOTE: The above GILL line has a positive DNA match <no paper trail match yet> with the Todd/Muhlenberg County, KY GILL line of:
William Pressley Gill, b. March 8, 1820, Todd County, KY; d. June 6, 1892, Muhlenberg County, KY.
Lucinda Catherine Allen (wife), b. Feb. 16, 1829, Logan County, KY; d. Aug. 13, 1913, Muhlenberg County, KY.
Children of WILLIAM GILL and LUCINDA ALLEN:
GILL DNA results (http://www.rootsweb.com/~ctcsouth/GillDNA/index.html) show that William Pressley Gill, James M. GILL (http://sciway3.net/clark/gill/kyjamesm.html) of Pulaski County, KY and Benjamin Franklin Gill (http://sciway3.net/clark/gill/tnbenfranklin.htm) Shelby County, Tennessee are related.
However to date, there are no paper trail sto tie them together.
The William Pressley GILL information was contributed by, copyright © 2005 and special thanks to Joseph Stone, all rights reserved.
Joseph Stones email is email@example.com.
Please contact Arnie Gill or at Arnie Gill
Copyright ©2005, Arnie Gill, all rights reserved. These documents may be freely used for private purposes, and included in your own genealogy. However, this document is copyrighted and may not be sold, nor given to anyone who may attempt to derive profit from same. Please send any errors, corrections, conjectures, updates, etc. to Frank O. Clark, Ph.D.. <FCLARK@BIGFOOT.COM>
|Return to Indiana Gills|
|Return to Gill state selection page.|
|Return to Gill home page.|
Please send any errors, corrections, conjectures, updates, etc. to Dr. Frank O. Clark.