Telfair Co. , the 35th county formed in Georgia, was created by act of 12-10-1807 from Wilkinson Co. Originally it contained parts of Coffee, Dodge, Jeff Davis, and Wheeler Counties. It was named for Gov. Edward Telfair (1735-1807). Born in Scotland, he settled in Savannah in 1766, was a staunch supporter of the American cause in the Revolution, was a member of the Council of Safety, a delegate to the Continental Congress, Gov. 1786-87 and 1790-93.
Jacksonville, was settled in 1807, incorporated on December 14, 1815, and served as the county seat until it was moved to McRae in 1871. It was named for "Old Hickory", Andrew Jackson, who defeated the British at New Orleans in 1815, the same year this town was chartered.
Telfair Co. GAGenWeb
|Return to Georgia Gills,|
|Return to Gill state selection page.|
|Return to Gill home page.|
Please send any errors, corrections, conjectures, updates, etc. to Dr. Frank O. Clark.