ST. MARY'S CATHOLIC CHURCH - HAMPTON, SC
During the Civil War the shrinkage of Catholics was as pronounced as death, emigration, and the unhealthiness. The War had caused religion to suffer immense losses. After the Civil War most church services were held in peoples homes. In the early 1900's priests would come by train or car to the area of Hampton County from Walterboro, Savannah, and Charleston to celebrate mass at various Catholic family homes. The First Catholic services held in Hampton County was held at Peeples Funeral Parlor in the early 1950's. The first Catholic Church of Hampton Co. was built in 1958. This is the St. Mary's Catholic Church located on First Street. It is a mission church of Walterboro.
Submitted by and thanks to Yvonne Deloach. Copyright ©2013 USGenWeb Hampton County web site.
Please Email any additions, errors, corrections, or suggestions to the webmeister.
|SCGenWeb - Hampton County, South Carolina|