Near the McGee branch was a little hostelry with a bold spring of water in its front yard, which gushed up in a spout two feet high (as told by Mrs. Elizabeth Massey, daughter of Zion Massy, the first keeper of the inn). Travelers began to call this hostelry the "Inn with the Fountain" and that eventually became the Fountain Inn."
Soon after the war between the states, Mr. Noah Cannon came to this section and bought up land which he divided and sold tracts of land. By 1886, the village had grown up at the present site and was chartered December 24, 1886. It might have been called "Cannonville", but the association with the old Inn was too strong and the village was named Fountain Inn. On August 30, 1886 the C and WC railroad established passenger service with its first train service through the village. In 1912 the charter was surrendered and the town was incorporated. Since that day it has grown to its present status with good schools, churches, and several industrial plants.
- We are soliciting information, history, and pictures for this web page. -
Greenville Historical Schools Index
Email additional information or comments to the Fountain Inn High School Web Project.
© 2008 SCIway.net, LLC All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced