Dothan Methodist Church
Dillon County, SC



Photo by Sheila Berry, March 2002

BRIEF HISTORY
by Victoria Proctor

Organized in 1786 under the leadership of Robert McKenzie and others, the church was first known as Bethea's Meeting House. It was located on the road between Harlleesville [Little Rock] and Mars Bluff [Florence County], opposite the dwelling of John C. Bethea. It was also known as the Bethea Camp Ground, for camp meetings were held on the premises until at least 1809. About 1830, the congregation removed to a new log building at the present location. At this site, the church continued to be active for a century, but in 1927 membership had shrunk to a number insufficient for proper maintenance. The remaining members of the congregation transferred their membership to Methodist churches in Dillon, and Dothan today [1978] is only used for the annual reunions of the Bethea family.

--Source: Stokes, "The History of Dillon County, South Carolina",
with emphasis and annotations added by Victoria Proctor


Dothan Cemetery Transcriptions


Back to Dillon County Methodist Churches
Back to Dillon County Churches
Dillon County Cemeteries
Dillon County History and Genealogy

Copyright 2001, 2002, 2005, 2011 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.