Fork Baptist Church
Dillon County, SC
BRIEF HISTORY by Victoria Proctor
Organized near Allen's Bridge in 1830 as Buck Swamp Baptist Church by
James Allwood, the first pastor, Gregory Rollins, James Thomas, and others. Membership
the first year included 9 blacks and 113 whites. In 1907 the church formed a field
with Kemper, Piney Grove, and Bermuda for the joint use of a parsonage. Later it withdrew
from this arrangement. In 1916, the church moved to its present location and constructed
a new building on land donated by Dewey Rogers. The organization
changed its name when Fork became the official name of the community.
--Source: Stokes, "The History of Dillon County, South Carolina"
For a list of burials at the church cemetery, see
Fork Baptist Cemetery Transcriptions
Back to Dillon County Baptist Churches
Back to Dillon County Churches
Dillon County Cemeteries
Dillon County History and Genealogy
Copyright © 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2011 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.