Kemper Baptist Church
Dillon County, SC
Old Kemper Baptist Church
(Photo courtesy of Jo Church Dickerson)
BRIEF HISTORY by Victoria Proctor
Located at Kemper. Organized in 1888 as Mt. Horeb Baptist Church at Gall Bush Schoolhouse,
approximately one mile southwest of the present site, under the leadership of Stinson Ivey and the
first pastor, John Connerly. Charter members included George W. Meares, George W. Elvington, Alfred
Elvington, James R. Mears, Sallie Meares, L.E. Meares, Hannah F. Elvington and Martha Elvington.
In 1904, the church moved to the new village of Kemper, constructed a building on land donated by
C.P. Hayes and L.C. McNealey, and changed its name to the Kemper Baptist Church.
During its early years , the church had cooperated with Mullins and Nichols in calling a pastor
but after 1898 formed a field with Piney Grove, Fork, and Bermuda churches which continued until
1956. On March 2, 1975, the beautiful church and 50 percent of the adjacent educational building
were destroyed by fire. On August 17, 1975, the new building was completed.
--Stokes, "The History of Dillon County, South Carolina"
For a list of burials at the church cemetery, see
Kemper Baptist Cemetery Transcriptions
Back to Dillon County Baptist Churches
Back to Dillon County Churches
Dillon County Cemeteries
Dillon County History and Genealogy
Copyright © 2000, 2003, 2005, 2011 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.
This WEB page is intended solely for the private, non-commercial
use of researchers, and may not be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to
any electronic system, BBS, Message Board, Mailing list, or web site, nor included in any software collection or print collection
of any type without the express written permission of the author. These electronic pages
may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other individuals or organizations.