Pee Dee Presbyterian Church, also known as Little Pee Dee, is located five miles southeast of Dillon.
Until this church was founded, Presbyterians in the upper Marion District (Dillon County) who worshipped
in a house of their faith were forced to make the long journey to Ashpole Church, near Rowland, North
Carolina. For years the services there were conducted in Gaelic, then with a mixture of that tongue
and English until the Civil War, when Gaelic was discontinued. As trips to Ashpole were necessarily
infrequent, services were held in private homes from 1790 until 1820 when the Pee Dee Church was
organized and received into Harmony Presbytery.
One account gives the founding date as 1838, but this is believed to be erroneous. The first pastor,
Duncan McIntyre, Sr., was the leader in founding the church. The charter members included:
and the Ray, Stafford and Clark families
A log building was erected for a church, located about one mile east of Campbell's Bridge on
Little Pee Dee and seven miles southeast of present Dillon. In 1855, a new church was built on
the present site, which was donated by Christian, Arch, John and Neil M. Carmichael, and Mary McDuffie.
The building was remodeled in 1912.
Last modified: 5 Dec 2005.