Piney Grove Baptist Church
Dillon County, SC
BRIEF HISTORY by Victoria Proctor
First organized in 1810 as the Saw Mill Baptist Church at Gaddy's Mill. In 1831, most of the
18 members were dismissed by letter to join the Bear Swamp Baptist Church, but a remnant remained
and within four years, under the pastorate of William B. Allen, the congregation increased to 32
members. In 1849 the church was moved to its present location on the south side of Bear Swamp,
and reorganized with nine members as the Piney Grove Baptist Church. Within a few years, the renamed
organization constructed a larger building in which whites and enslaved blacks both worshipped.
After the war, some of the freed slaves moved their membership but the names of George Brown and
Lewis Scott remained on the congregational roll as long as the two lived.
Piney Grove has the distinction of being the mother of four churchs: Bermuda, Pleasant Hill,
Mt. Calvary, and Oak Dale, and was associated in fields with several of them before becoming
independent in 1958.
--Source: Stokes, "The History of Dillon County, South Carolina"
For a list of burials at the church cemetery, see
Piney Grove Baptist Cemetery Transcriptions
Back to Dillon County Baptist Churches
Back to Dillon County Churches
Dillon County Cemeteries
Dillon County History and Genealogy
Copyright © 2001, 2003, 2005, 2011 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.
This WEB page is intended solely for the private, non-commercial
use of researchers, and may not be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to
any electronic system, BBS, Message Board, Mailing list, or web site, nor included in any software collection or print collection
of any type without the express written permission of the author. These electronic pages
may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other individuals or organizations.