SECOND BAPTIST CHURCH
1108 Highway 301 South
Dillon, SC 29536
Rev. Donald Wallace
This information was taken from material given by the
Second Baptist Church. In 1980 a committee was formed
of Mable Hyatt, Myrtle McKenzie, Jan McKenzie and Jane
Church. They compiled records and pictures and produced
a history of our church. The following information is
made up of just small parts of our history.
Second Baptist Church had it's beginnings in brush arbor
meetings in 1903. But due to a lack of a building to
worship in interest was soon lost and the services were
discontinued. However, a seed had been sown and the
services were started again.
On June 3, 1906, by previous appointment, certain members
of Baptist churches met in one of the cotton mill houses
for the purpose of organizing a Baptist Church.
Devotional service consisting of singing, reading of the
scriptures, and prayer were held. Rev. J.H. Blanton,
apparently the preacher in the brush arbor meetings,
acting as moderator. The Rev. F.O. Curtis, Pastor of
the First Baptist Church, was organizer of the church.
Letters of dismissal from Pleasant Grove Baptist Church
were read for the following members: Rev. J.H. Blanton,
Frances Blanton, H.H. Cook,Jr., Mary Jane Cook, H.J.Cook,
Charity Cook, Maggie Williamson, Mollie Turbeville, J.C.
Cook, Ida Cook, Sara Ann Hulon, Addie Ivey, Emma Ivey,
Lillie Turner, Eliza Jane Cook, Morning Cook, Rosa
Williamson, and S.B. Williams.
They were organized as a Missionary Baptist Church. On
motion of Rev. J.H. Blanton the church was named
"Second Baptist Church". Brethern from Dillon's First
Baptist Church, Catfish, Piney Grove and Pleasant Grove
Baptist Churches acted as the presbytery and extended
the hand of fellowship to the new church membership. The
church covenant, that we still have today, was adopted
by the new church.
The membership realized a great need for a church
building to worship in. A church conference was called.
H.H. Cook Jr., was elected to serve as the first church
clerk. On motion, George and Minnie Gunter were received
into the membership from the Pee Dee Baptist Church.
George Gunter was elected as the first treasurer of the
church. A committee consisting
of H.H. Cook Jr., J.C. Cook, S.B. Williams, George Gunter
and Rev. J.H. Blanton was elected to solicit
contributions to build a church house. The first
donations on the building were from Jessie C. Cook -
$20.00, Andrew J. Cook - $20.00 and Miss Morning Cook -
$10.00. The First Baptist Church gave $100.00 and other
organizations gave small contributions to go on the
On June 3, 1906, the same day the church was organized,
Miss Morning Cook and Miss Eliza Jane Cook gave a 60
foot plot of ground to build the church on so long as
it remained a Baptist Church.
The church they built was a one room frame structure
with big posts down the middle. It had a big bell
inside the front entrance, which seemed to be the only
entrance at this time. The bell was rung every Sunday
morning. It rang about 9:00 and again at 9:45. It also
rang for fires in the community and for funerals. There
was a big black pot bellied wood or coal stove to heat
the church. Flat looking kerosene lamps were hanging
along the wall for lighting. There were two isles
instead of one.
The Rev. F.O. Curtis, Pastor of the First Baptist Church
acted as Pastor in bringing the church before the
association. The church was received into the Pee Dee
Association on October 16, 1906. However, it was not
dedicated until March 21, 1909.
On October 21, 1906, Rev. W.C. Wallace was called as
Pastor. He held two services a month, one in the
morning and one at night. His salary was $100.00 a year.
Thomas Tart was the first Sunday School Superintendent.
There were 21 church members and 75 in Sunday School.
The first revival was held in the spring of 1907, with
Rev. Asbury Paul of Lumberton, N.C., the visting
minister. Thirty two new members were added to the
In April 1907, the first deacon was elected, he was
W.J. Hulon. In June 1907, H.H. Cook Jr., George Gunter,
S.B. Williams, and D.D. Taylor were elected as deacons.
They were ordained as the first board of deacons.
In the early church, pastors were called for one year at
a time. The church conferences were held part of the
time on Saturday afternoons. The rolls were called,
especially of the male members, and their names were
excluded if they missed as many as three roll calls in
succession. Many were excluded for unchristian conduct
and for failure to pay church dues. Male members were
asked to pay 25 cents a month and female members were to
pay 10 cents a month to help pay the pastor.
The first communion service was recorded in 1908. Also,
on June 18, 1908, a committee was appointed to select
pews for the church. We don't know what they did for
seats until this time. The pews cost $10.00 each and
in 1981 were still being used in the Full Gospel Church.
The first sexton was elected in 1910. His job was to
sweep the floor, light the lamps, and ring the bell.
For these services he received $1.50 per month.
On September 24, 1911, Rev. F.A. Prevatte of Lumberton,
N.C. was called as pastor for the incoming year. His
salary was $100.00 a year. It was to be paid quaterly.
The first mission work was reported during his pastorate
by Mrs. Prevatte. It seemed to be home missions among
the members. C.J. Cook was elected superintendent.
In 1911, unsatisfactory conditions in the church were
reported to the association. In 1913 unbaptistic
practices were reported and the association appointed a
committee to investigate the situation. It seemed that
a non-baptistic group was taking over the church. An
unsuccessful attempt was made to change Second Baptist
Church to a Community Church.
On January 20, 1917, Rev. J.A. Hursey became our pastor.
He was to recieve $200.00 a year to be paid quaterly.
The association paid $100.00 of this. The very next
day, January 21, the church property was deeded to the
Pee Dee Association. This was done to keep it secure
as a Baptist church. It stayed in the association until
1962. Rev. Daivd Oldham was successful in getting the
deed back in the hands of the church.
The following is a list of the Pastors and the years
they served Second Baptist Church.
Rev. J.H. Blanton.........1906
Rev. W.C. Wallace.........1906 - 1911
Rev. F.A. Prevatte........1911
Rev. D.J. Clark...........1911
Rev. G.J. Tart.....1916 - he did not finish the year out
and in October 1916, B.S. Moody the
superintendent was called to supply
the rest of the year.
Rev. J.A. Hursey....1917
Rev. H.G. Fowler....1918
Rev. F.W. Walters...1920 - 1924
Rev. W.C. Allen.....1924 - 1926
Rev. Roy Arnette...1927 - 1936
Rev. Roy Tiner.....1936
Rev. Roy Arnette...1937 - 1938
Rev. Tom Patterson..1938
Rev. Colon Smith....1939
Rev. P.B. Coates....1939
Rev. R.A. Stanwich..1942
Rev. D.B. Tritt.....1943
Rev. D.B. Grant.....1944
Rev. Wade H. Gainey...1945
Rev. Ellis L. Coleman...1946
Rev. Johnny L. Hooks....1950
Rev. R.C. Melton........1953
Rev. Enoch Caulder......1958
Rev. John H. Tooley.....1958 - 1960
Rev. David Oldham.......1960 - 1978
Mr. Doug Stanton.......1978
Rev. John Steverson.....1978 - 1985
Rev. Robert T. Byrd.....1985 - 1995
Rev. D.E. Frye,Interim..1995 - 1997
Rev. Donald Wallace.....1997
Ordained from Second Baptist Church
Rev. Wayne Bryant
Rev. Enoch Caulder
Rev. Clyde Coates
Rev. Jimmy Halliburton
Rev. Jack Hayes
Rev. Billy Oxendine
Rev. David Pace