Photo courtesy of Sheila Berry
THE JOHN CRAWFORD BETHEA HOUSE
Though not strictly in the town of Latta, the historic home of J.C. Bethea is nearby, about two miles west, out toward Catfish Church. This is believed to be the approximate site of the residence of Buck Swamp Bethea (1759-1821).
John Crawford Bethea (1798-1863), grandson of "Buck Swamp" John, came into possession of the land, some 1800 acres, and built the house about 1836. The last Bethea to own the home was John Crawford Bethea (1861-1903), son of the first John Crawford, who lived there until he moved his family to Dillon in 1898.
The farm land was sold in 1903 to J.H. Manning, who sold it in 1906 to Thomas Pinckney Squires.
In 1950, Joseph Thomas Squires, son of Thomas Pinckney Squires, became the owner and the old Bethea home was restored at that time. The photograph below dates from that period and is displayed here courtesy of Mr. Tommy Squires, descendant and current owner.
Photo courtesy of Mr. Tommy Squires
Photos contributed by Sheila Berry, March 2002.
Dillon County History
Dillon Main Page
Copyright Victoria Proctor © 2002-2013
All Rights Reserved