Photo by Sheila Berry, March 2002
EARLY COTTON PRESS
This cotton press, built in 1798 according to tradition, is thought by many to be
the oldest in existence. It was first owned and used by John Bethea, III, and later
by Henry Berry. Powered by oxen or mules rotating the beam to tighten the press,
it was rendered obsolete by modern machinery. A Berry descendant moved it to its
current site about 1948 to preserve it.
Photo contributed by Sheila Berry, March 2002.
Dillon County History
Dillon Main Page
Copyright Victoria Proctor © 2002-2014
All Rights Reserved