Link to Dillon County Home Page box1 Early Latta Homes
box2 Historic Things and Places
box3 Latta Schools
Back to Dillon Home Page

Old Latta High School
    Photo of Old Latta High, circa 1909

OLD LATTA HIGH SCHOOL

Latta High School had its roots in Vidalia Academy, established in 1877. In 1887, the construction through this part of Dillon County of a railroad known as the "Wilson short-cut" resulted in the birth of the town of Latta. As the town grew, more accessible school facilities were needed, and to supply this need, a three-room frame building was erected in 1898 on the corner of Smith and Marion Streets. The new school adopted the name of the new town.

A second story was added to this first building in 1903, providing two additional rooms and an auditorium, a facility lacking until this time. The additions served only a brief period for on September 24, 1907, the entire building burned, and a new, red brick building, seen above, was erected on Richardson Street, opening March 1908.

Old Latta High School Bell The old red brick building burned in 1972 and the bell from the old school is shown at right.

The brass plaque reads:

 
LATTA HIGH SCHOOL 
       BELL
RANG FROM ITS TOWER
       IN
THE OLD RED BRICK BUILDING
    1909 - 1972

The marble stone reads:

Latta High School
Erected 1907
A.S. Manning, H.W. Allen, W. Ellis Bethea, Trustees
Ernest V. Richards, Architect
Jno. E. Deibler, Contractor

Burned October 17, 1972


Photo by Sheila Berry, March 2002


Class of 1930, Latta High School
Photo page. Most of the students are identified. Can you help identify the remaining few?



Back to Latta
Dillon County History
Dillon Main Page

Copyright Victoria Proctor © 2002-2013
All Rights Reserved