Back to Dillon County Home Page box1 Early Latta Homes
box2 Historic Things and Places
box3 Latta Schools
Back to Dillon County History and Genealogy Home Page

Old Vidalia Academy
    Photo by Sheila Berry, March 2002

OLD VIDALIA ACADEMY

The Vidalia Academy was founded in 1877 and housed in a one-room building originally located on Mr. H.C. Allen's farm near the site of Latta. In 1879, the structure was moved a short distance north of Latta, nearer to a road crossing Buck Swamp. In 1883 a music room was added and the Academy continued to operate until 1898 when it was merged into a large new school in Latta.

The original Vidalia building, now located on Main Street in Latta, was at one time under the ownership of A. LaFon LeGette, Jr., who foresaw its historical significance and ensured its preservation.

Vidalia Academy Sign
Photo by Sheila Berry, March 2002


Back to Latta
Back to Photo Gallery
Dillon County History
Dillon County History and Genealogy home page

Copyright Victoria Proctor © 2002
All Rights Reserved