Compiled by Victoria Proctor, ©1996-2014
Orr's Regiment of Rifles
First Regiment, South Carolina Rifles, known as Orr's Rifles, was organized at Sandy Springs, South Carolina, in July, 1861. Its members were recruited in the counties of Abbeville, Anderson, Marion, and Pickens.
The Regiment was composed of the ten (?) companies of one hundred men each:
Company B - Abbeville County
Company C - Pickens County
Company D - Anderson County
Company E - Pickens County
Company F - Pickens County
Company G - Abbeville County
Company H - Marion County: Company "H", also known as "Fairlee's Company" (Captain George M. Fairlee of Richmond, NC, died Guinea Station June 1862) and later as "Henegan's Company" and "McKay's", was exclusively from Marion County. The regiment also included men from Co E (Gregg's Battery), 1st SC Vols, a six-month regiment, that were from Marion County, SC.
Company I -
Company J -
Company K - Anderson County
Company L - Anderson County
The unit was first stationed on Sullivan's Island and called "The Pound Cake Regiment" by the other troops because of its light duty. Then in April, 1862, it moved to Virginia with 1,000 men. Assigned to General Gregg's and McGowan's Brigade, it fought with the army from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor. Later the regiment endured the hardships of the Petersburg trenches and the Appomattox operations.
Of the 537 engaged at Gaines' Mill (June 1862), fifty-nine percent were killed, wounded or missing. The unit reported 116 casualties at Second Manassas (August 1862) and 170 at Fredericksburg, then lost forty-nine percent of the 233 at Chancellorsville (April-May 1863) and three percent of the 366 at Gettysburg (July 1863). There were 12 killed and 81 wounded at The Wilderness (May 1864), 15 killed, 36 wounded, and 44 missing at Spotsylvania, 3 killed and 34 wounded at Deep Bottom, and 9 killed and 37 wounded at Poplar Springs Church. It surrendered 9 officers and 148 men.
The field officers were:
Colonels Daniel A. Ledbetter, James W. Livingston, J. Foster Marshall, George M. Miller, James L. Orr, and James M. Perrin
Lieutenant Colonels William M. Hadden, F.E. Harrison, Joseph J. Norton, and James T. Robertson; and
Majors John B. Moore and Leonard Rogers.
The original regimental flag is now part of the collection at the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, VA.
Back to Marion County Regiments and Units
Marion County - War Between the States
Marion County Genealogy and History
These CSA pages online since December 11, 1996.
Copyright © 1996-2014 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.
This WEB page and its contents are copyrighted and may not be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to any electronic system or BBS, message board, mailing list or web site, nor included in any software collection or print collection of any type without the express written permission of the author. These electronic pages may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other organizations.