BROWNSVILLE BAPTIST CHURCH
Marlboro County, South Carolina
by Victoria Proctor, © 2006
The Brownsville Baptist Church can trace its origins back to the Welsh Neck Church, established in 1738. The Cashaway Church at Cashua Ferry (1757 - 1788), a branch of the old Welsh Neck Church, was, however, the first "Brownsville Baptist" congregation.
In 1788 the Cashaway (Cashua) Baptist Church congregation purchased land at Cleveland Hill, 2 miles southwest of its present location, from the Rev. John Brown. The congregation was independently constituted in 1789 and named "Muddy Creek Baptist". Sometime in 1829 the church was renamed "Brownsville Baptist" but remained at Cleveland Hill until 1860, at which time it moved to its present location.
Back to Marlboro Baptist Churches
Marlboro, South Carolina Churches
Copyright © 2006 by Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.
All contributed material remains the property of the contributor. This WEB page, however, is copyrighted and may not be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to any electronic system or BBS, message board, mailing list or web site, nor included in any software collection or print collection of any type without the express written permission of the author.