Marlboro County, SC Towns
Bennettsville

 
 

 

BENNETTSVILLE, SOUTH CAROLINA

Thomas Bennett daguerrotype The county seat for Marlboro is the city of Bennettsville which was founded in 1819 and named after Governor Thomas Bennett.

Article from the Dec 16, 1915 issue of the The Dillon Herald, transcribed by Mary Lewis

"Bennettsville Is Near a Hundred"
Pee Dee Advocate

One hundred years ago the Marlboro county court house stood on the north side of what is now J. K. Matherson's wheat mill, in the village of Carlisle. It was so far from the center of the county, that the legislature passed an act authorizing the construction of a new court house and jail at a more convenient and healthy place. The place was selected by a state engineer, as near the exact center of the county as a suitable building site could be found. The place chosen was "upon the great road leading from Society Hill to Fayetteville in or near an old apple orchard on the land of John S. Thomas." Mr Thomas lived near where the Presbyterian church now stands, and his orchard extended back towards the creek. Main street, was not then in existence, but the road lay further south, near Mr. Thomas' house, land connecting with what is now Fayetteville Avenue, which was then further north at that point. Mr Thomas gave a deed for three acres for the court house site and public square, and it was recorded by Wm Bristow, clerk of court, on April 4, 1820. The court house was completed in 1824.

Bennettsville was named for Thomas Bennett, who was governor of the state from 1820 to 1822. Capt. J. A. W. Thomas in his history of Marlboro county, gives the following list of male citizens of Bennettsville in 1826; John S. Thomas, Wm. Munnerlyn, Joseph D. Massey, Amos Galpin, Horace B. Thomas, Dr. Edward W. Jones, Dr Wm. Crosland, John McCollum, George Dudley and Alex R. Brown. Sen. John McQueen settled here in 1827.

The growth of the town was slow for many years, and several of the old settlers moved away. The town was still a mere village when the war began. It had about a half dozen stores, thirty residences, Methodist, Baptist and Presbyterian churches, Masonic and Temperance lodges, a male and a female school, and a blacksmith and wood shop. There was no railroad in the county and freight had to be hauled from Society Hill or Garnner's Bluff.

Since the war everything has changed in Bennettsville. There is perhaps no building of that time that still stands except the Cobb house on East Main Street. In 1884, the first railroad came. Since then the town has had a continuous growth till it now has about 5000 inhabitants, including the mill village and other suburban residences not within the corporate limits which have not been extended to keep up with the growth of the city. It now has a large number of beautiful, modern residences, splendid school buildings, handsome brick churches, modern government post office building, beautiful and impressive Masonic temple, five strong banks, a modern cotton mill, a steam laundry, a modern newspaper planat, with Morgenthaler linotype and other up-to-date machinery and appliances, scores of stores, and imposing business structures. Bennettsville has three railroads, the Atlantic Coast Line, the Bennettsville and Cheraw and the Rockingham railroad. There are passenger trains arriving and leaving almost every hour during the day, from 6:30 AM to 10 PM and the freight facilities are excellent. The railroads have commodious modern brick passenger stations here and ample freight depots.

The Churches

The first church in the county was the Welsh Neck Baptist church organized in January, 1838, [THIS IS THE DATE GIVEN IN THE PAPER BUT IT MUST BE 1738 FROM WHAT FOLLOWS] at a point on the banks of the Pee Dee river, now marked by the Kolb monument. This church was the parent of Brownsville (first called Cashway). Organized in 1789; Salem 1793, and Bennettsville. The latter came from Welsh Neck indirectly through Cheraw. It was organized in 1820 at Saw Mill about two miles north of where the old court house then stood. In about ten years the church was moved to Bennettsville. Rev. Campbell Stubbs was then pastor. He was followed by Revs. W. Q Battie in 1829. Rev. J. A. W. Thomas became pastor in 1849, and continued for 33 years, except during his service as a captain in the Confederate army. Other pastors have been Revs. H. W. Beattie, R. N. Pratt, Rufus Ford, Chas. A. Jones, Rev. A. C. Sherwood, the present pastor, began his pastorate the first of last month.

The present building was in course of erection when the beloved Capt J A W Thomas died in 1896, and it was named for him, The Thomas Memorial Baptist church. The first Methodist church in the county was built at Beauty Spot in 1783. The first quarterly conference was held there on Feb 23, 1788, with Bishop Ashbury presiding. A second building was erected there in 1810, a third in 1839 and a fourth in 1883. All the Methodist churches in Marlboro are branches directly or indirectly, of Beauty Spot, the mother of Marlboro Methodism.

On June 21, 1834 Col Wm J Cook conveyed to Thomas Cook, John L. McRae, Wm. Dudley, John McCollum, Alexander J. Mittle, James C. Thomas and Alex R Brown, trustees, the lot on which the Bennettsville Methodist church now stands on East Main Street. The present commodious brick building was erected about eight years ago. Since this church was made a station, it has been served by many prominent members of the South Carolina conference, including T. E Wannamaker, J L Stokes, J W Daniel, W S Wightman, E O Watson, M W Hook, Chas B Smith, C W Creighton, A B Watson, T E Morris, R E Turnipseed and Peter Stokes. The latter has just finished his four year limit, and the church regrets that he cannot return.

One of the oldest Presbyterian churches in this section was Pee Dee, five miles north of Bennettsville. The old building yet stands, though the church was moved to Blenhelm many years ago.

The Bennettsville church is an offspring of Pee Dee. In 1852 Hartwell Ayer sold to L B Prince and George Dudley, trustees, for $150, the acre lot on which the Presbyterian church now stands on Broad, McColl and Liberty streets. The building committee was W D Johnson, Chas A Thornwell, Neil McNeil, George Dudley and J Beattie Jennings. The church was built by D A Boyd of Virginia for $2800. The church was dedicated May 12, 1855. Revs J C Coit and A D Campbell conducted the services. The church was formerly organized Dec 1, 1855. Dr James H Thornwell had charge of the services. W D Johnson and J B Jennings were made elders.

Some of the pastors have been Revs. A D Campbell, P E Bishop, C W Wilson, E H Brist, Joseph Evans, D S McAllister, W B Corbett, J E Bailey, C E Hodgins, H W Burwell, Bunyan McLeod and F D Viehe. The church has been without a pastor for several months, since the regisnation of Mr Viehe. Last Sunday the church extended a call to Rev George M Wilcox of Walhalia.

During the pastorate of Dr Bunyan McLeod a handsome new brick building was erected. It had just been completed when it was destroyed by fire. In a few months the church had erected the present building, a duplicate of the one burned.

The oldest Episcopal church in this section is St David's at Cheraw which was opened for worship in 1772. The first Episcopal church in Marlboro county was dedicated in Bennettsville in 1898 - St Paul's Rev T P Baker has the distinction of being the first and the present rector of the church. He resided in Cheraw and preached here from the organization of the church for about two years. Then several other fields in this and other states for 14 years and came back to Bennettsville and occupied the new rectory here last year. He is an able preacher and popular with all denominations.

Between Mr Baker's first and present pastorate here the church had several excellent rectors, including Revs Tracy R Walch, C W Boyd, H H Lumpkin, A E Hay, Harry Plummer, A S Thomas, R W Barnwell and E A Penick, Jr.

MORE BENNETTSVILLE HISTORY:

Aviation in Marlboro - the Roaring '20s


Victoria Proctor

Back to Marlboro Towns
Marlboro County Main Page

 

Copyright 2003-2013 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.