Marlboro County SC
AFRICAN AMERICAN RESOURCES
- American Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936-1940
"I am a Negro"
1939 Interview with (unnamed) Pastor,
Manning Grove Holiness Church, Bennettsville.
- Slave Narratives
Narratives from Slaves who were in and from the Marlboro County Area
- See also Books and Published Resources
Links of Interest
- Africans in America
PBS series "The Terrible Transformation"
- Genealogy Forum: African American Resource Center
- Free African Americans of Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Maryland, Delaware
Researcher Paul Heinegg lists numerous free slaves throughout various counties in North Carolina and Virginia. Slaves brought into Brunswick County, Virginia, from North and South Carolina, 1780 -1781
- How to Research African American Obituaries
Help for beginners article on Genealogy.com.
- First Person Narratives of the American South
documents the American South from the viewpoint of Southerners. It focuses on the diaries, autobiographies, memoirs, travel accounts, and ex-slave narratives of relatively inaccessible populations: women, African Americans, enlisted men, laborers, and Native Americans. The texts for this project come from the Academic Affairs Library of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and the Editorial Board for Documenting the American South guides its development.
- Black Genealogy Exchange
Message Board at MSN
- Christine's African American Genealogy Site
- African American Family History Research
Some interesting facts; on the Missouri State Archives site
- Free African Americans of North Carolina and Virginia
Lists numerous free slaves throughout various counties in North Carolina and Virginia. Provides in-depth explanation of information.
Back to Marlboro County Main Page
Copyright © 1996-2014 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.
All contributed material remains the property of the contributor. This WEB page, however, is copyrighted and may not be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to any electronic system or BBS, message board, mailing list or web site, nor included in any software collection or print collection of any type without the express written permission of the author.