Marlboro County, South Carolina


Pee Dee Daily, 24 November 1913

Robert Wesley Bundy

“About twenty minutes to three o’clock, November 22,1913, the spirit of my friend, Mr. R.W. Bundy, broke the mortal fetters and passed out into the great beyond. He was on the 30th day of Sept. past , fifty- nine years of age, and while not an old man he had lived longer that the average life time. He was stricken with that dreaded disease known as Bright’s, a kidney trouble, which is so rapidly claiming its victims in this country.

Only a few days ago his friends pleasantly talked with him at his store, for he always had a cheerful ”good morning” for all, and the general public did not know he was a sick man. He remained in charge of his business until a few days before his death, when his extreme condition became known and everything possible was done for his alleviation, but it became apparent that the end was drawing near. When he was informed of his critical condition he did not become alarmed, for he had already made the necessary preparation and death was no terror for him. He said to his friends and loved ones that he was not afraid to die, that he would soon be with his mother and loved ones on the other shore. What a blessed hope and consolation for his family and friends . Better than gold and silver and lands, for his is an imperishable inheritance, eternally in the skies. He had a host of friends, always cheerful and accommodating. It was a pleasure for me to stop by a few minutes in passing the store and talk to him.

His father was G.W. Bundy and died a prisoner of war in Elmira, New York, in 1865. He was a patriot and served his country bravely and courageously. The deceased was one of several small children, who with their widowed mother, were left to fight the world’s battles after that terrible war. Mr. R.W. Bundy for many years served as superintendent on large plantations, and was a good farmer and general manager.

Several years ago he came to Bennettsville and entered the mercantile business, which he continued until his death. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Church, was funeralized by Dr. Peter Stokes, his pastor, and buried under the auspices of the Woodman of the world, which fraternity he was a faithful member and in which he held some insurance.

The internment took place in McCall Cemetery, in East Bennettsville, Sunday afternoon, November 23, 1913. During the impressive ceremonies the choir sang several beautiful pieces, and the floral offerings were profuse and lovely. He leaves a widow and several children, and thus one by one, our friends and loved ones are crossing over the river, and soon it will be said of all of us--they are dead! To the broken hearted widow and weeping bereaved children I tender my deep, sincere and profound sympathy and condolences in the hour of dire distress and sorrow.” (SIGNED) J. PRESTON GIBSON

Submitted by Belinda Gergel, a BUNDY descendant, 24 Jan 2010.


Back to Marlboro Obituaries
Marlboro County Main Page

Copyright © 2010 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.
All contributed material remains the property of the contributor. This WEB page, however, is copyrighted and may not be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to any electronic system or BBS, message board, mailing list or web site, nor included in any software collection or print collection of any type without the express written permission of the author.