METHODIST CHURCH RECORDS AND HISTORIES
- Bethesda Southern Methodist Church
Located at Oak Grove; organized c. 1850
- Beulah Methodist Church
Originated as Ivey's Methodist Church near Clio, Marlboro County.
In 1885 the church divided and the new church, Beulah, moved
east on the road to Little Rock.
- Bowling Green United Methodist Church
Located on Route 1, Dillon; organized in 1856
- Dothan Methodist Church
Located near Latta; Originated in 1786 as Bethea's Meeting House
- First United Methodist Church
Located in Latta; organized in 1889
- Hopewell Methodist Church
Located on Hwy.41, Fork, SC
- Main Street Methodist Church
Located in Dillon, SC; organized 1892
- Manning's Chapel United Methodist Church
Now located at Bingham; originated about 1840 and was located on the plantation of
- Mount Andrew United Methodist Church
Located at Floydale, originated as the Buck Swamp Society c. 1786
- Oakland United Methodist Church
Located 1/2 mile from NC line, Oakland Community, SC
- St. Paul's Methodist Church
Located at Little Rock, SC; Formerly Liberty Chapel, originated in 1786
Cemetery - Partial
- Shiloh United Methodist Church
Located at Fork, organized 1810
- Union Methodist Church
For additional information on South Carolina Methodist church records,
you may wish to visit the Wofford College Archives website:
Sandor Teszler Library, The South Carolina United Methodist Collection
(Look under Unique Collections for Methodist Collection)
"The records of the South Carolina Conference of the United Methodist Church
are housed in the Archives. These records, which date from 1785, include the minutes of the
sessions of the Annual Conference as well as the conference
newspaper, the Southern Christian Advocate. The Methodist
Collection also has an index of the obituaries appearing in the Advocate
from 1837 to the present.
The Methodist Collection is the official repository for the
records of Conference agencies and holds the records of a number
of South Carolina Methodist churches, an index of appointments
to churches in the conference from 1785 to 1954, and published
histories of the conference and a number of churches."
Source: Wofford College
Please note that some obituaries from the Southern Christian Advocate newspaper are searchable
on the Wofford library site:
SCA Obituary Search Page .
As of August 2000, surnames beginning A through F had been extracted and placed in
their database. On a recent visit to the web site (March 2014), I did not spot a
The Circuit Riders of the Methodist Church in Early America
John Wesley's Methodist plan of multiple meeting places called "circuits" required a
force of preachers willing to travel to, or make a circuit of, the congregations in their charge.
A circuit was made up of two or more local churches (sometimes referred to as societies) in early Methodism.
A pastor would be appointed to the charge, or circuit, by his bishop. During the course of a year the minister
was expected to visit each church on the charge at least once, and possibly start some new ones.
At the end of a year the pastors met with the bishop at annual conference, where they would often be
appointed to new charges. A charge containing only one church was called a station. The traveling preachers
responsible for caring for these societies, or local churches and stations, became known as circuit riders,
or sometimes saddlebag preachers. They traveled light, carrying their belongings and books in their saddlebags.
Ranging far and wide through villages and wilderness, they preached daily or more often at any site available
be it a log cabin, the local court house, a meeting house, or an outdoor forest setting. Unlike the pastors of
settled denominations, these early Methodist preachers were constantly on the move. Their assignment was often so
large it might take them 5 or 6 weeks to cover their circuit. Francis Asbury (1745 - 1816), the founding bishop
of American Methodism, is said to have traveled 270,000 miles and preached 16,000 sermons as he traveled the circuits.
Peter Cartwright (1785-1872) described the life of the circuit rider in his Autobiography:
"A Methodist preacher, when he felt that God had called him to preach, instead of hunting up a college
or Biblical Institute, hunted up a hardy pony, and some traveling apparatus, and with his library always
at hand, namely, a Bible, Hymn book, and Discipline, he started, and with a text that never wore out nor
grew stale, he cried, 'Behold, the Lamb of God, that taketh away the sin of the world.' In this way he went
through storms of wind, hail, snow, and rain; climbed hills and mountains, traversed valleys, plunged through
swamps, swollen streams, lay out all night, wet, weary, and hungry, held his horse by the bridle all night, or
tied him to a limb, slept with his saddle blanket for a bed, his saddle-bags for a pillow. Often he slept in
dirty cabins, ate roasting ears for bread, drank butter-milk for coffee; took deer or bear meat, or wild turkey,
for breakfast, dinner, and supper. This was old-fashioned Methodist preacher fare and fortune."
- The Journal and Letters of Francis Asbury. Elmer T. Clark, ed.
(Nashville, TN, Abingdon Press, 1958)
- Francis Asbury, the Prophet of the Long Road. Tipple, E. S.
(The Methodist Book Concern 1916.)
- Cartwright, Peter, Autobiography of Peter Cartwright
(Abingdon Press 1956)
- If Saddlebags Could Talk Maser, Frederick and Simpson, Robert Drew
(Providence Press 1998. )
Copyright © 1996-2014 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.
This WEB page is intended solely for the private, non-commercial
use of researchers, and may not be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to
any electronic system, BBS, Message Board, Mailing list, or web site, nor included in any software collection or print collection
of any type without the express written permission of the author. These electronic pages
may NOT be reproduced in any format for profit or presentation by other individuals or organizations.