Warning: include(/var/www/vhosts/sciway3.net/httpdocs/_ssq/header.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/scpictur/public_html/sciway3.net/proctor/dillon/obits/v1/harllee001.html on line 2

Warning: include(): Failed opening '/var/www/vhosts/sciway3.net/httpdocs/_ssq/header.inc.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/php71/pear') in /home/scpictur/public_html/sciway3.net/proctor/dillon/obits/v1/harllee001.html on line 2
Dillon County, South Carolina Obituaries
Little Pee Dee River,
 image  by Victoria Dillon County, South Carolina History and Genealogy, Graphic by Victoria Little Pee Dee River,
 image  by Victoria
Home >>  Obituaries >>   Back to Obits H

Obituary of

Andrew T. HARLLEE, CSA Veteran

The Dillon Herald, Dillon, South Carolina
February 1, 1906, Vol. 11, No. 5

Capt. Harllee Dies in Florida

A private telegram received Tuesday night announces the death of Capt. A. T. Harllee which sad event occurred at Tampa, Fla., where the Captain had gone for his health. For several months, Capt. Harllee had been in declining health and his death was momentarily expected, but notwithstanding this the message announcing his demise was a shock to his numerous friends. The immediate cause of his death was probably heart failure as a result of his weakened and emaciated condition. The body will arrive this morning and the interment will probably be made at the Harllee burying ground near Little Rock this afternoon.

Capt. Harllee was a prominent Mason, Commander of Camp Harllee and veteran of two wars. He won distinction at Harper's Ferry, Gettysburg and First Manassas. He was prominent in the affairs of the county and will be greatly missed. He was in the 70th year of his age. A more extended notice of his life will appear in the next issue of the Herald.

February 8, 1906, Vol. 11 No. 6


The following well writen (sic) history of the life of Capt. Harllee was published in the State of the 3rd. Inst. By Dr. B. M. Badger:

Capt. Andrew T. Harllee, a native and lifelong resident of upper Marion, died on Jan. 30th in Tampa, Fla., whither he had gone a few weeks before with the hope of improvement to his health, which had been failing for several months past.

His remains arrived last evening about 9 o'clock, were carried to his residence, and from there to the Methodist church today, where amidst his kindred and a host of friends from this and adjoining counties, he funeral services were conducted, preliminarily by the pastor and finally by the Masonic order of which he was a member, Hon. Jon C. Sellers delivering the eulogy.

Capt. Harllee's death was not unexpected. Two years ago symptoms of organic heart trouble began to show themselves. Everything that medical skill could suggest failed to arrest the progress of the disease and it was with extreme sadness that his friends contemplated the inevitable; the old battle scarred soldier was making his last fight.

The duty assigned to his eulogist today was ably, eloquently and lovingly discharged. Mr. Sellers had known him all of his life and was selected to pay this tribute to his departed friend.

He spoke of his distinguished English ancestry running back to the fifteenth century, his possession in a marked degree of the sturdy traits that characterized them, a man of earnest, honest convictions and the courage to declare them, a loyal citizen, a true friend.

It is not to be wondered at then that he met, in a strenuous way, the crisis of his counter's history that soon began to confront his young manhood. At 18 years of age, under Gen. David R. Atkinson, he was ready to dispute with Ossawattamie Brown as to where Kansas should be a slave or free state. There he remained one year, and on his return he was appointed to a position in the interior department at Washington, where he remained until the secession of South Carolina. He was secretary to the committee consisting of Hons. J. L. Orr, R. W. Barnwell and Gen. J. H. Adams, who were sent by the Secession convention to treat (sic) with President Buchanan, and was made bearer of dispatches from the committee to the convention then in session in Charleston, December 1860.

His uncle, Gen. W. W. Harllee was then lieutenant governor of the state and a member of the convention. Having delivered his dispatch to the convention, he repaired to the governor's office and reported for duty. It is worthy of note that Mr. Harllee and Mr. S. G. Jamison, (nephew of Gen. Jamison, president of the secession convention) both holding positions in the same department, received in Washington from their uncles the first telegrams announcing the secession of the State. Both at once tendered third resignations to Hon. Jacob Thompson, secretary of the interior, theirs being the first resignations from the service on account of the secession.

Gov. Pickens appointed young Harllee assistant quartermaster on his staff with rank of captain, in which capacity he acted until the fall of Fort Sumter. He then returned to his home and assisted in raising Company 1, Eighth South Carolina Regiment, and as a private int his company he went to Virginia in May, 1861, and participated in the battle of Manassas; as a scout around Alexandria and near Washington he rendered valuable service to Gen. Bonham.

After Manassas he was promoted to second lieutenant of his company and very soon after became captain.

In the first battle in which his company was engages after his promotion (Maryland Heights) he was severely wounded. All the color bearers and guard had been killed or wounded and his company being the color company, he snatched the flag with his own hands and was gallantly leading the charge when he fell shot through both thighs with a minie (sic) ball. The flag was ten seized by Col. John W. Hennegan and he, too, fell severely wounded. The regiment thus inspired pressed upon the works and captured them, causing the surrender of Harper's Ferry. For a time Capt. Harllee lay exposed to the fire of friend and foe.

As soon as he could sufficiently recover from his wounds to report for any duty, he was appointed enrolling office in Marion County. Returning to Virginia he was in time for Gettysburg where he was shot in the right thigh.

At Bean Station he received a wound to his left ankle. At the Wilderness he was wounded in the head from a spent ball, not sufficient to cause him to leave his command.

In Harden's march from Charleston his company being reduced to the number of four men, he was detached as commander of scouts and through the states of North and South Carolina he gave the enemy no little trouble on the flank and rear capturing a number of prisoners.

At the close of hostilities he returned to his home and engaged in planting.

In the redemption of the State under Hampton, Capt. Harllee's services were invaluable. Gov. Hampton appointed him trail justice, which office he held for ten years.

He was a delegate to the national convention in Chicago in 1894, always an ardent admirer and supported of Grover Cleveland. A sound money Democrat in 1895, he was on the electorial (sic) ticket from is district in that campaign.

He was never married, living with his sister, Miss Amelia, who will feel most keenly his loss.

A brother in Florida and a widowed sister, Mrs. W. D. Carmichael in Dillon and a number of nieces and nephews survive him.

Transcribed by Helen B. Moody from microfilm at the Dillon Library, Dillon, South Carolina

Submitted by Helen Moody, 6 Nov 2003.

Copyright 2003, 2005, 2011, 2014 Victoria Proctor. All rights reserved.
This WEB page is copyrighted and may not be copied, altered, converted or uploaded to any electronic system or BBS, message board, mailing list or web site, nor included in any software collection or print collection of any type without the express written permission of the author.